Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Thai Coconut Chicken Soup...it's Paleo!

I LOVE Thai Food.  And this soup is one of the easiest and most Thai-tasting Thai dishes I make.  As always, I didn't really measure, so I'll do the best I can to re-create.  I also had a very busy-bodied-won't-stop-talking-leave-mommy-ALONE SO I CAN FINISH DINNER...sorry, it was just one of those moments.  He was the perfect child ALL DAY, until it was time for me to cook.  Then ALL he wanted was to help but this was one of those times when the help of a four year old was more burden than anything else, I needed to get dinner on the table.  And fast!  (I know I know, I will look back at this when he's fourteen and wants nothing to do with me or my cooking and wish I could turn back the clock...anyways...) My point is if I can whip this up in the time I did with the distractions I had, anyone can!
So here's the "recipe"...
  • 1 quart chicken broth (homemade is best, for tonight I used Kirkland Organic Chicken Stock)
  • 1–2 red Thai (or jalapeno) peppers, seeded and finely chopped (plus slices for garnish) ***totally optional, I don't use them.
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 tablespoon grated ginger
  • zest of one lime
  • juice of one lime
  • 3-4 tablespoons Thai fish sauce
  • 1 container shiitake mushrooms, sliced (approx. 2 cups)
  • 1 pound(ish) package boneless, skinless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 1 can coconut milk
  • 1 handful of watercress or fresh spinach
  • 1-2 scallions, chopped *optional, I had some that needed using
  • 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro (plus sprigs for garnish)
Combine broth, coconut milk, pepper if using, garlic, ginger, lime zest and fish sauce in a medium saucepan or soup pot.  Bring to a simmer and add chicken, stirring, until chicken is cooked...about 3 minutes.  Add mushrooms and cook about 2-3 more minutes.  Stir in scallions and watercress/spinach until it begins to wilt, about 1 minute. Add cilantro.  Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with sprigs of cilantro and slices of pepper.  For non-Paleo eating you could have this over some rice or rice noodles but if you are watching your weight or have blood sugar issues, I would not recommend this.  Also, if the lemongrass at my store wasn't moldy I would've added that to the recipe too. 

So EASY and SOOOOO DELICIOUS!!!
(there is just no reason NOT to make it!)

No comments:

Post a Comment