Sunday, November 22, 2009

Delicata delight


A few weeks ago I had a few friends over for some healthy Saturday night cookin'.  Now I have tasted and cooked many seasonal squash (again, ask me a few years ago and I would've said I didn't like any squash) but that night I was trying a "new to me" squash that had showed up in my CSA box that week...the delicata.  What I learned from one of my friends was that this is one winter squash that you can eat the skin- and boy is it delicious!  It's actually an heirloom variety of squash that has only recently come back into the culinary world.  For the first time trying the delicata, we simply sliced in half lengthwise, baked in a glass baking dish, flesh side down in about 1 cm of water (400 degrees, 30-45 minutes) removed from oven, topped with butter and sea salt and WOW, a perfect snack or side.  I've been hooked on them ever since, always picking up a few each trip to the market.  Pictured here is a last minute dinner idea using what I had on hand.  I am changing the recipe from what I actually did, the chicken pieces and the onion needed to be chopped smaller.  I chose boneless/skinless chicken breast from Fields of Athenry (my favorite source for chicken!) and... read below...
Chicken Delicata Delight
2 servings, with leftovers
Ingredients:
2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch strips/pieces
butter
1 sweet onion (chopped small)
2 delicata squash (halved and seeds removed)
1 apple (peeled and cut into small pieces)
water or chicken broth
cumin
coriander
cinnamon
cayenne
sea salt
fresh pepper
honey* optional

Preheat oven to 400 degrees
Place squash halves flesh side down in a baking dish with about 1 cm of water and bake until a fork pierces the flesh easily (about 30-45 minutes)
While squash is baking...
Heat onions in butter in a large sauté pan.  Sprinkle with sea salt and cook on low until they caramelize.
Once onions are a gooey brown, remove from pan and set aside.
Add more butter if necessary and cook chicken pieces thoroughly.
add cooked onions, chopped apple pieces, spices, honey (optional, I just used a little drizzle) cook a few minutes to let the spices soak in.
Then add enough water to create a sauce but not a soup (approx. 1 cm in pan).
Simmer liquid down until it reduces by half and the apples are tender.
Spoon chicken mixture into baked squash halves and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment