Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Fish in a Flash


SO I went from never cooking fish, to almost never cooking fish, to rarely cooking fish, to fish twice a week.  I never used to even like fish...until I really tried.  Little bites here and there and eventually I grew to enjoy certain fish.  There are a lot of mild fishes out there for beginners.  I like halibut, cod, mahi mahi and haddock.  Salmon is still not my favorite (I'm a nutritionist, I KNOW it's good for me!) but I will have it on occasion with the right sauce.  I choose to cook fish tonight simply because tomorrow is Thanksgiving (i.e. lot's of rich foods, and basically lots of food!)  So in a pinch (nothing was defrosted) I ran into Target, yes Target, and bought some frozen wild-caught mahi mahi filets.  They defrost in 20 minutes, or while you are bathing your baby and getting him to bed.  Out of the package, a quick rinse, pat dry and here goes the rest...

Preheat broiler with rack placed so fish will be 6-8 inches from heat*

Ingredients:
Wild caught mahi mahi filets (or any other wild mild fish you choose)
EVOO
sea salt
fresh ground pepper
herbs de Provence
zest and juice from half a lemon
Kale, washed in hot water, torn in pieces with stems removed
toasted pine nuts
a good aged parmesan cheese

Brush pan or foil with a little EVOO, place filets on pan also brushing with a little EVOO (I used my fingers, few utensils to clean)
sprinkle each filet with salt, pepper, lemon zest, lemon juice and herbs
broil 12-14 minutes or according to package

While the fish is broiling, wash and tear kale.  Dry in a salad spinner or by hand.
Toast pine nuts over med/low heat being very careful not to burn (keep moving them around, they will burn very quickly.)
Shave pieces of parmesan, set aside for final plating.

In a bowl, toss the washed and dried kale leaves, EVOO, some lemon juice and lemon zest, salt and a little pepper.
Plate the kale leaves and top with a few pine nuts and some cheese shavings.
Slide next to that a piece of fish, garnish with a little more lemon zest and Viola!  Dinner in 30 minutes or less.

*I used aluminum foil on my broil pan for a fast and easy clean up.

From start to finish this dinner took me less than an hour to cook, eat and then clean up.

No comments:

Post a Comment